04 Oct Steven Low – Overcoming Gravity, A Comprehensive Approach To Bodyweight Strength Training
Steven Low is the author of one of the most amazing and comprehensive books on Gymnastics and Bodyweight strength training I’ve ever seen.
He joins the show this week to discuss his approach and key learnings as a coach and a clinician.
Steven is the author of Overcoming Gravity, a complete systemic approach on bodyweight training.
He is a former gymnast and coach who spends thousands of hours independently researching the scientific foundations of health, fitness, and nutrition.
Steven holds a bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry and a Doctorate of Physical Therapy from the University of Maryland.
Here’s what we discuss this week on the show:
- Steve shares his experiences in Physical Therapy school
- What he says were the “educational gaps” in the PT curriculum
- Advice to stay current on the latest research
- His simple advice to new clinicians
- His uncommon approach to fitness today
- How his clinical knowledge helps him train
- What he did to resolve his own injury (medial epicondylitis)
- Why I think Overcoming Gravity is one of the best books on the topic
- How the 2nd Edition of this book was an overhaul to the previous edition
- The “story” behind the book – and the main goal
- What he says is the key to exercise progression
- We take a “deep dive” into understanding training progressions
- The 3 biggest mistakes that most people make in training (key!)
- Common injuries with bodyweight training
- A step-by-step progression for the hand stand push-up
- The 3 most valuable exercises for the generalist – and the advanced
- How to integrate bodyweight training with ketttlebell or barbell programming
- Should we all be able to perform a pistol squat?
- Key considerations in optimizing shoulder health
- What he feels he could have added to Overcoming Gravity
- What is the big idea he wants reader’s to take away from his book?
- I was able to get Steve to discuss his book writing process
- Key influences on the writing of this book
- Closing advice after listening to this interview…
Please take a minute to review the show. It’s fast and easy to do. To see how to post a review in Apple Podcasts, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
The Rdella Training® Podcast is released every Wednesday with valuable training information and amazing interviews with many “world-class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to “bridging the gaps” in strength, performance, and injury prevention. Specifically created for the serious fitness enthusiast, lifter, athlete, coach, trainer, or rehab professional.
- Overcoming Gravity (The Book)
- Practical Programming
- The BoomStick (for Body Tempering)
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere you’d like.