15 Mar RT 201 | Dr. Jonathon Sullivan – The Barbell Prescription
Dr. Jonathon Sullivan, co-author of the ground-breaking and important new book, The Barbell Prescription, joins the podcast this week for a phenomenal session that’s not to be missed.
Dr. Sullivan is an MD, PhD and owner of Greysteel Strength & Conditioning where he specifically serves the “over 40” population. He has written and presented extensively on the topic of strength training and has a background as a researcher, as well as his medical expertise.
The Barbell Prescription may be one of the most important and comprehensive books ever written in the area of strength development – at any age. You’ll learn about this incredible book – and so much more – in this valuable interview with Dr. Sullivan.
Here’s what you’ll learn about in this week’s episode:
- Why he decided to serve the “over 40” population – and beyond
- The common misconceptions his clients have about barbell training
- The surprising reality of training the “older clientele”
- Why the loss of muscle mass is “catastrophic” for the aging
- Why strength training is beneficial for cardiovascular health
- How Dr. Sullivan approaches the aerobic system via strength training
- The real POWER of exercise as a medicine
- What is “narrowcasting” in relation to the education about strength?
- Learn the “big picture” of The Barbell Prescription
- Who he secretly hopes will pick up this book and read it
- Why the barbell is the ultimate tool for strength
- How he approaches mobility limitations with the older population
- A powerful “case study” with John (an 89 year old)
- Program considerations for the master’s athlete
- What we can learn from the “science of strength”
- The truth about the Valsalva maneuver
- What he says is the biggest mistake in barbell training
- Great closing advice and so much more…
If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please drop in a quick review in iTunes.
It’s fast and easy to review the show. To see how to post a review in iTunes, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
The Rdella Training® Podcast is released every Wednesday with valuable training information and amazing interviews with “world class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to becoming the Premier Strength and Performance Podcast online interviewing the industry leaders. Specifically created for the serious fitness enthusiast, lifter, athlete, coach, trainer, or rehab professional.Find a coach and learn how to lift. You won't be sorry. - Dr. Jonathon SullivanClick To Tweet
SHOW NOTES AND LINKS:
- The Barbell Prescription
- A Case Study with John
- The Valsalva and Stroke
- Starting Strength
- Starting Strength Online Coaching
- The Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere you’d like.