25 May David Joyce – High Performance Training And Injury Prevention
(#175) David Joyce, a world-leading expert in athletic performance and injury prevention, joins the show this week to discuss his approach to peak performance and preventing injury.
David is the head of athletic performance for GWS (Greater Western Syndey) Giants in the Australian Football League in Sydney, Australia.
He specializes in strength and conditioning, sports medicine science, nutrition, psychology, recovery, and rehabilitation. He has a Bachelor in Physiotherapy and Masters in Sports Physiotherapy, as well as in Strength & Conditioning. He’s been a part of two Olympic teams with China and Great Britain, and he’s worked in the English football Premier League.
He is also the co-editor of two ground-breaking books – Sports Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation and High-Performance Training for Sports – together with Daniel Lewindon.
These books have gathered many of the world’s top experts and compiled their knowledge and insight on all topics related to proper injury prevention, rehabilitation, and optimal performance. Their goal was to give us two masterful hands-on guides – and they’ve achieved that goal brilliantly.
In this episode, David and I discuss the content from both books and the close relationship between pain, injuries and their proper treatment. We go through topics such as the evolution of training in the world of professional sports, different types of injuries, and their various treatments. Not only will this dynamic interview give you the knowledge and resources to prevent and recover from injuries, but it will do it in a way that’ll ensure you’re performing at your highest level.
We go through topics such as the evolution of training in the world of professional sports, different types of injuries, and their various treatments. Not only will this dynamic interview give you the knowledge and resources to prevent and recover from injuries, but it will do it in a way that’ll ensure you’re performing at your highest level.
The content is fantastic, but the truth is that we only scratched the surface on these topics.
I’m extremely honored to bring you this session.
Here’s what you’ll hear about in this week’s amazing episode:
- The most common injuries experienced in the unique game of Australian football
- Find out how David’s books are bridging the gap between pathology and performance
- Why rehab is about much more than just getting someone back on their feet
- How to get the most out of David’s books (and take action with what’s most relevant to you)
- How athletes today are different from the athletes of the past
- Why an interdisciplinary approach to training will have a MASSIVE impact on team performance
- Why pain is NOT a linear response to injury
- What is pain really – and how does it impact an athlete’s performance?
- Discover effective strategies for dealing with tendon injuries
- Learn conventional modalities for managing pain
- The importance of strength as it applies to injury resilience
- Discover the most important strength quality for an athlete
- And more…
If you enjoyed this week’s episode, please drop in a quick review in iTunes or Stitcher. It’s easy to review the show and it’s greatly appreciated to help the show grow.
To see how to post a review in iTunes, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
The Rdella Training® Podcast is released each week with valuable training information and amazing interviews with “world class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to becoming the Premier Strength and Performance Podcast online interviewing the industry leaders to help people of all levels live their strength and discover their greatness.
- High-Performance Training for Sports
- Sports Injury Prevention and Rehabilitation
- David Joyce Twitter
- Giants APU Twitter
Some of my favorite educational resources can be found here: RdellaTraining.com/learn
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter, or anywhere you’d like.