11 Nov 10 Reasons Home Workouts Beat the Gym
There are several advantages of home workouts as compared to exercising at the gym. As a person who used to spend a lot of time in the gym, I’ve discovered there’s many great reasons home workouts are a great option and actually beats the gym, with several key advantages.
Years ago, let me tell you, you could have never sold me on the idea that working out at home could be a better option compared to getting a good workout in at the gym. I mean, there’s no way this is even a discussion. But, I’ve recently found that it’s actually superior to the gym, in many ways. Here’s 10 Reasons I came up with why home exercise beats the gym:
- TIME SAVING: Ok, this is a no-brainer, right? You have drive to and from the gym. The transportation time you save adds up. I know as a busy dad, every minute in the day counts and I don’t want to use up any more of my time driving back and forth to the gym. Depending on how far you live to the gym, you will for sure save time by training at home by not driving to the gym. And you’ll save time by being more efficient with your program, as well. Exercising at home is a major time saver.
- NO WAITING…EVER: No waiting for machines or exercise equipment, ever. I know I’ve gotten frustrated when I have had a good workout going and someone was using the machine or weights I wanted to use. And even if you worked in, maybe that threw off your momentum just a little. I always hated to wait for equipment at the gym, especially when you have a good groove going.
- NO PRESSURE: You have no social pressure when working out at home. Heck man, you can even workout in your underwear if you want to. You don’t have to feel like you have to look your best or be self conscious when you’re at home. It’s just you (maybe the kids are watching or something), but you can be yourself without worrying about who’s watching or looking at you. You don’t have to get ready to go to the gym, you there already. Just do it.
- NO DISTRACTIONS: Well, there can be distractions at home too, but you can avoid the distractions more easily at home, atleast that’s been my experience. How’s that? Put a “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door or location where you are training, turn the phones off, tell the family you need 30 minutes or so to workout, so please don’t disturb me. This is your time, own it. When you’re at the gym, people talk to you or you may be tempted to get into a discussion. That can totally de-rail your workouts quickly. There’s a lot of other visual and auditory distractions at the gym. I have found better quality at home for you to focus on your workout and your results.
- SAVE MONEY ON GYM MEMBERSHIPS (and Travel costs too): This is obvious. While you may spend some money in home exercise devices, your savings over a gym membership and travel will be significantly better. Now remember, Smart Home Fitness is about being cost effective and efficient with your programs, so the overly expensive home gyms and bulky devices don’t apply here. Bottom line, you save!
- AVOID GOSSIP: One thing about the gyms I’ve experienced in the past is the rumor mill. I always tried my best to avoid getting caught up in any of that, but you know as well as I do, that gossip and rumors are part of the mix at the typical gym. Exercise at home and mark that one down as advantage for home workouts.
- FOCUS ON YOU: No gossip, no crowds, no distractions. What’s left then is YOU. You can really focus your time and efforts on having a quick and highly effective workouts that really benefit you. I’ve found it to be great to just get in there and really “tear it up” for a short time period. My focus is exceptional and I believe you’ll find the same. You can really get into the “zone” with this type of training. And I’m saying this after years and years of training in the gym. The focus on you is a great advantage.
- ENVIRONMENT: Ok, you could argue that the gym provides a great environment too. And it does. But the best thing about the environment at home is that YOU control it. You control the room or location, the time, the set-up, the music, the comfort, the necessities, the lighting, everything. I can workout anywhere in the house, but I prefer the garage or my backyard, actually. It’s up to you, find what works, find where your comfortable doing it and just do it. Your environment isn’t controlled by the gym, it’s controlled by you.
- AVOID THE CROWDS: This is especially true for the peak hours of a gym. If you’ve been to a gym between 4 and 8 PM or early in the morning, you know what I mean. When it’s crowded at the gym, that’s when you wait and have to compete for equipment. That means frustration and screwing up your pace. At home, no crowds, no wait, no problem.
- CONVENIENCE: Saved this one for last. There is no more convenient way to exercise than at home, period. This pretty much eliminates every excuse you have why you don’t exercise. Of course you need motivation, energy, etc., but there’s no reason not to exercise at home, providing you have a good plan for what you want to achieve and you know what you need to do to accomplish your goals. It it so convenient, I wish I had started this years ago. As a busy dad, it’s THE WAY to go. Major problem solved.
Well, there’s 10 great advantages of Home Workouts. And your hearing this from a former gym rat who recently discovered that exercising at home is a beautiful thing! No more excuses, right??